This is the household of his parents, Thomas William, age 41 and an Ironmongers warehouseman from Wood Nortonand Elizabeth, age 38 and from Bodham. Enlisted Hertford. Panel 10 and This day was the 2nd day of the battle of Festurbert. The battalion had taken been in action the day before and had taken casualties.

Regime homme 1500 calories safe

Orders received to withdraw Bn. Movement completed by 3. About 1. About 3 p. Mackenzie, V. About 7. On 22nd May, official information was received, that this N. By about 9 p. Major C. A portion of the Battn. Under these circumstances the C. WATTS how matters stood. During these operations Maj. Mackenzie V. During the night information was received that a portion of the 4th Camerons had succeeded in entering the enemy trench. Several men were drowned in the ditches, referred to above.

This is the household of his widowed mother, Sarah, aged 44, from Holt and now supporting her family by working as a laundress and washerwoman. Her other children are His profession appears to be Shiphand. There appear to be four older children, Edith, Emma, William and Thomas. The family are living at Gravel Pit Lane, Holt. Killed in action with the British Expeditionary Force on 28th September Enlisted Chelmsford. Pier and Face 7 C. Enlisted Felixstowe.

The 1st Battalion had been heavily engaged on the 19th and the 20th having seized part of a German trench and holding it for 24 hours against numerous counter-attacks before finally being forced out.

Panel This is the household of his parents, William, age 35 and a Domestic Gardener from Wivetonand Susan, age 34 and from Holt. The Southern attack was to be made in easterly direction by the 1st and Meerut Divisions, on a yard front between Chocolat Menier Corner and Port Arthur 1st Division would have an attack frontage of yards; Meerut yardswith the objective Rue du Marais - Lorgies - Ligny le Grand, incorporating La Cliqueterie a heavily defended German strongpoint.

The 2nd Division was moved up into reserve, from the La Bassée canal sector, leaving behind 4th Guards Brigade and receiving in exchange the 5th London Brigade of the London Division who moved to the canal in their place. German troops are seen peering above their parapet even while this shelling was going on. The lead battalions of the two assaulting Brigades of 1st Division go over the top to take up a position only 80 yards from German front.

Heavy machine-gun fire cuts the attackers down even on their own ladders and parapet steps, but men continue to press forward as ordered. Despite the early losses and enemy fire the three Brigades attempted to advance across No Man's Land. They were met by intense crossfire from the German machine-guns, which could not be seen in their ground-level and strongly protected emplacements.

Whole lines of men were seen to be hit. Few lanes had been cut in the wire and even where men reached it they were forced to bunch, forming good targets for the enemy gunners. The leading battalions suffered very significant losses, particularly among officers and junior leaders.

Around men on the Northants and Munsters got into the German front, but all were killed or captured. The advance of the supporting battalions suffered similarly, and by 6. He offered his opinion that it would not be successful. No further information available at present potential matches on CWGC - check Genes Re-united to see if we can track down any likely individuals.

The two youngest ones are both born and still living in Sprowston on the edge of Norwich. Neither family has any apparent connection with the North Norfolk area by birth. Born Gorleston-on-Sea. Lived Holt. Enlisted Colchester. This was the household of his married sister, Emma Read, aged 22 and from East Dereham and her husband, James, aged 23 and a general labourer for the council. Emma and James have a son, Harry, who is under 1. The same individual on the census is to be found at No 3, Waterloo, St Faiths.

His parents are Charles, who appears to be out of workand Emily, who is listed as a master shoemaker. As well as George, they have four other children. Enlisted Cromer. Graveling, of Holt, Norfolk. This is the household of his parents, William, aged 25 and a bricklayers labourer from Norwichand Phoebe, aged 21 and also from Norwich.

As well as James, they have a daughter Edith, aged 3. The only other match is a Canadian soldier who appears to have been born in Canada, and with no obvious links to the area. No obvious match on the Census under the name of either Edward or Wallace. However, if he was a career soldier, he could have been overseas at the time of the Census. The objective was about yards from original German Front Line which had already been taken by the 37th Division. Casualties Capts G. WEST M.

The 18 year old Frederick W. He was still single and working as a Gardeners Assistant. This is the household of his parents, Robert, aged 49 and a Domestic Gardener from Coltishalland Lucy, aged 52 and from Wickmere. They also have a daughter, Edith S, age 21, living with them. It is highly likely that this is the Ernest Guymer on the memorial. Formerly 3rd East Kent Regiment. Born Foulsham.

Lived and enlisted Great Yarmouth. Son of Robert and Hannah Guymer. Buried: St. Sever Cemetery Extension, Rouen, France. Thanks to Bernie Guymer for the family information. The 21 year old Ernest can indeed be found on the Census, living at Fish Hill, Holt, with his widowed mother. He had been born at Foulsham, single, and was now employed as a Bakers Assistant. His mother, Hannah, aged 66 and from Stibbard, was the head of the household. Her other children still resident with her are Australian Army record checked - born Arbroath, Scotland, but no other obvious link with any other part of the UK.

The 6 year old Reginald is recorded on the Census as living at Fairstead Hill Cottage, Holt, the town of his birth. This is the household of his parents, Walter, aged 39 and a Stone Mason from Holtand Charlotte, aged 36 and also from Holt. Born Great Ellingham. Having been born at Great Ellingham, he now works as a Outfitting Assistant. The address is the household of his parents, William, a 44 year old farmer from Great Ellingham and Emily, aged 47 and also from Great Ellingham. The first three weeks of October were spent on the west bank of the Yser canal, and partly in training for the attack of October 22nd in the Poelcappelle neighbourhood.

On the 8th Leiutenant -Colonel Ferguson and commanding the battalion almost contiously for three years proceeded on six months special leave to England and was suceeded by Mjor E. The only other notable event was on the 15th when the German bombardment was specially severe causing several causualties. One shell made a direct hit on a 'pill-box' in which was the regimental aid post. The medical officer was wounded two men were killed and one wounded.

On the 20th the battalion was in Cane trench ready for the forthcoming attack ". It then goes on to decribe the attack which went in on around 5. The Norfolks went first, leapt frogged by the 10th Essex.

Despite the mud all the objectives were achieved. Losses were heavy and this was destined to be the Battalions last great action before it's dissolution. Being split up in the new year to go to the 7th and 9th Norfolks. Formerly 29th Battalion Middlesex Regiment.

Son of Robert and Martha A. Jenkinson, of Pearson's Buildings, Holt, Norfolk. This is the household of his parents, Robert, aged 35 and a Carter for a Domestic Merchant from Holtand Martha, aged 35 and from Brinton. Died on 22nd August The 10 year old Richard is recorded on the census at Chapel Street, Holt. This was the household of his parents, William, aged 55 and an Ordinary Field Labourer from Edgefieldand Deborah, aged 51 and from Rudham. There are 2 possible matches on the Census. One aged 6, born Holt, now living at Holt Road, Edgefield.

Parents are Thomas and Amy. The other is aged 9, born Holt and living at Norwich Road, Holt at the time of the census. Parents are Albert and Harriet. Buried in Muttra Cemetery. He was born at Holt, is still single and works as an Ostler Groom. This is the household of his parents, Frederick, aged 50 and a house painter from Wisbechand Maria, aged 48 and from Marham.

Enlisted Southwark, Surrey. The 3 year old Victor J. On this day the 8th Battalion carried out a successful night attack on the Snout the German second position in Bazentin Wood after a 4 mile approach march.

After consolidation withdrawn to reserve in White Trench. Lance Sergeant Formerly Norfolk Yeomanry. Son of William and Susanna Loades, of 55, St. Philip's Rd. He was born at Holt, and was employed as a House Painter and Decorator. This was the household of his parents, William, aged 50 and a House Painter and decorator from Holt and Susannah, aged 55 and also from Holt.

They also have their two grown up daughters living with them - Eva Grace, aged 16 and born Holtand Lilian K, aged 23, born Holt and working as a dressmaker. Fitter Staff Sergeant Son of Robert John and Ann Loynes. Staff Sergeant Loynes was born in Holt on 6th October Educated at Holt and Brancaster, he enlisted on 3rd September He was killed in action in France on 6th June He had been born in Holt, was single and working as an engine fitter.

They also have a grown up daughter, Grace Elizabeth, aged 19, living with them. Gunner Enlisted Woolwich, S. Two possible matches on the Census with a Holt connection. One is aged 4 and living at Cromer Road, Holt. His parents are Robert and Annie. His parents are John and Rebecca. Born Ashwell Thorpe, Norfolk. Lived Marsham, Norfolk. Hannah J. There are also various Georges with a Norfolk connection on the Census. However the only Victor is recorded at The Street, Ashwellthorpe.

He is aged 10 and the village is given as his birth place. Serjeant Enlisted Scunthorpe. Sapper Born Kelling, Norfolk. See also 34th Norfolk Division, Royal Engineers. Frank is a Railway Navvy. This was the first phase of the battle and involved the German forces attacking the defending Portuguese and British Divisions. In one of the greatest defeats in the military history of Portugal, the 2nd Portuguese Division, approximately 20, men commanded by General Gomes da Costa later President of Portugallost about officers and 7, men killed, wounded and prisoners, resisting the attack of four German divisions with 50, men of 6th German Army, commanded by General Ferdinand von Quast in the first day of the German offensive.

Pca skin pigment gel ingredients

Emergency British recette grand mere pour pousse des cheveux deployed to help the Portuguese defenses were also captured or forced to retreat. On the flanks of the Portuguese, the British 55th Division south of the Portuguese were able to refuse their northern brigade and despite numerous further attacks formed a firm defensive line which limited the effectiveness of the German attack.

On the Portuguese northern flank, the British 40th Division were outflanked and attacked from the rear and as a result allowed the attacking German units to extend the breakthrough of the front line further north. Born Saxlingham, Norfolk. Bay 7. The 10 year old William J. Alexander Calder July 22, — November 11,also known as Sandy Calder, was an American sculptor and artist most famous for inventing the mobile.

In addition to mobile and stabile sculpture, Alexander Calder also created paintings, lithographs, toys and tapestry and designed carpets. Born in Lawnton, Pennsylvania, on July 22,Calder came from a family of artists. His father, Alexander Stirling Calder, was a well-known sculptor who created many public installations, a majority of them located in Philadelphia.

In that same year, he completed his earliest sculpture, a clay elephant. The children were reunited with their parents in late March, and stayed at the ranch in Arizona until fall of the same year. After Arizona, the Calder family moved to Pasadena, California. Inwhen Calder was in the fourth grade, he sculpted a dog and a duck out of sheet brass as Christmas gifts for his parents. The sculptures were three dimensional and the duck was kinetic because it rocked when gently tapped.

In Croton, during his early high school years, Calder was befriended by the painter Everett Shinn with whom he built a gravity powered system of mechanical trains. As Calder described:. We ran the train on wooden rails held by spikes; a chunk of iron racing down the incline speeded the cars. We even lit up some cars with candle lights. He began work on sculptures for the exposition that was held in Toward the end of this period, Calder stayed with friends in California while his parents moved back to New York so that he could graduate from Lowell Rajeunir ses meubles xxl School in San Francisco.

Calder graduated in the class of InCalder decided to study mechanical engineering after learning about the discipline from a classmate at Lowell High School named Hyde Lewis. During his freshman year, Calder stayed in Castle Stevens, a room Victorian mansion that was originally a summer home of the Stevens family. InCastle Stevens was demolished and replaced in by the story Wesley J. Howe Administration Building. It was a beautiful room in a square tower, really a wonderful room, with windows looking up and down the river and across—it was all windows.

Calder joined the football team during his freshman year at Stevens and practiced with the team all four years, but he never played in a game. He also played lacrosse, at which he was more successful.

He was a member of the Delta Tau Delta fraternity. He excelled in the subject of mathematics. In JuneCalder started work as a fireman in the boiler room of the passenger ship H.

While the ship sailed from San Francisco to New York City, Calder woke on deck off the Guatemalan Coast and witnessed both the sun rising and the moon setting on opposite horizons. As he described in his autobiography:. It was early one morning on a calm sea, off Guatemala, when over my couch — a coil of rope — I saw the beginning of a fiery red sunrise on one side and the moon looking like a silver coin on the other. The H. Alexander docked in San Francisco and Calder traveled up to Aberdeen, Washington where his sister lived with her husband, Kenneth Hayes.

Calder took a job as a timekeeper at a logging camp. The mountain scenery augmentation mammaire bonnet c fwrite array him to write home to request paints and brushes. Shortly after this, Calder decided to move back to New York to pursue a career as an artist.

While a student, he worked for the National Police Gazette where, inone of his assignments was sketching the Ringling Brothers and Barnum and Bailey Circus. Calder became fascinated with the circus, a theme that would reappear in his later work. InCalder moved to Paris. He established a studio at 22 rue Daguerre in the Montparnasse Quarter. At the suggestion of a Serbian toy merchant, he began to create toys with articulation.

He never found the toy merchant again, but, at the urging of fellow sculptor Jose de Creeft, he submitted his toys to the Salon des Humoristes.

Later that fall, Calder began to create his Cirque Calder, a miniature circus fashioned from wire, string, rubber, cloth, and other found objects.

Designed to fit into suitcases it eventually grew to fill fiveCalder could travel with his circus and hold performances on both sides of the Atlantic. He gave elaborately improvised shows, recreating the performance of a real circus. Some months Calder would charge an entrance fee to pay his rent. InCalder returned to the United States. He designed several kinetic wooden push and pull toys for children, which he had mass-produced by the Gould Manufacturing Company, in Oshkosh, WI.

His originals, as well as playable replicas, are on display in the Berkshire Museum in Pittsfield, Massachusetts. InCalder had his first solo show of wire sculpture in Paris at Galerie Billiet. The painter Jules Pascin, a friend of Calder's from the cafes of Montparnasse, wrote the preface. They married in A visit to Piet Mondrian's studio in "shocked" him into embracing abstract art. The Cirque Calder can be seen as the start of Calder's interest in both wire sculpture and kinetic art.

He maintained a sharp eye with respect to the engineering balance of the sculptures and utilized these to develop the kinetic sculptures Duchamp would ultimately dub as "mobiles". He designed some of the characters in the circus to perform suspended from a thread. However, it was the mixture of his experiments to develop purely abstract sculpture following his visit with Mondrian that lead to his first truly kinetic sculptures, manipulated by means of cranks and pulleys.

By the end ofhe had quickly moved on to more delicate sculptures which derived their motion from the air currents in the room. From this, Calder's true "mobiles" were born. At the same time, Calder was also experimenting with self-supporting, static, abstract sculptures, dubbed "stabiles" by Arp to differentiate them from mobiles. Calder and Louisa returned to America in to settle in a farmhouse they purchased in Roxbury, Connecticut, where they raised a family first daughter, Sandra bornsecond daughter, Mary, in Calder continued to give "Cirque Calder" performances but also worked with Martha Graham, designing stage sets for her ballets and created a moving stage construction to accompany Eric Satie's Socrate in His first public commission was a pair of mobiles designed for the theater opened in in the Berkshire Museum in Pittsfield, Massachusetts.

Instead, he continued to sculpt, but a scarcity of metal led to him producing work in carved wood. Calder was one of sculptors who exhibited in the 3rd Sculpture International held at the Philadelphia Museum of Art in the summer of His mobile, International Mobile was the centerpiece of the exhibition and hangs in where it was placed in In the s, Calder increasingly concentrated his efforts on producing monumental sculptures.

Notable examples are ". Calder's largest sculpture, at It stood in front of 7 World Trade Center when it was destroyed on September 11, InCalder was commissioned by Braniff International Airways to paint a full-size DC as a "flying canvas", InCalder completed a second plane, this time a Boeingas a tribute to the U.

Calder died on November 11,shortly following the opening of another major retrospective show at the Whitney Museum in New York. Calder had been working on a third plane, entitled Tribute to Mexico, when he died. Representatives of the Calder family reportedly boycotted the ceremony to make a statement favoring amnesty for Vietnam War draft resisters. Preston of 85, Mousehold Avenue, Norwich.

CWGC: www. This was the household of his parents, Benjamin, aged 43 and a Carter from Norwich and Alice, aged 39 and from Norwich. The couple have been married 18 years and have had 10 children, of which 8 were still. The most likely marriage of his parents was that of a Benjamin Preston to an Alice Morris in the October to December quarter, Q4of Post August it became compulsory when registering a birth in England and Wales to also record the mothers maiden name.

A search of the General Registrars Office Index of Births for England and Wales — produces many matches for children registered with the surname Preston, mothers maiden name Morris, but three in particular stand out — all recorded in the Norwich District and so possibly siblings of Arthur. Alice Emily Prestonborn 24th Februarywas baptised 2nd November Parents were Benjamin, a Labourer, and Anna. The family lived at Thompsons Yard. Nellie Maud Prestonborn 9th Julybaptised 2nd November Herbert Prestonno date of birth recorded, baptised 1st July The same census also notes that they have lost two of their children.

Louisa Prestonno date of birth recorded, privately baptised 28th March The family lived at 32 Fishergate. He could have served with either Battalion. With the outbreak of war the 2nd Battalion were already back in England and were immediately dispatched to France as part of the 2nd Division. With the German attack on the 10th Maythe British initially moved forward to prepared positions, but soon found themselves in danger of being surrounded. Then began a series of retreats behind hurriedly prepared defensive lines, usually based on the canal and river network.

When the Royal Norfolks arrived at Locon, the officers believed that they were going to have a rest during what was expected to be a period in reserve. However, while Major Lisle Ryder, their thirty-seven year old acting commanding officer, was reconnoitring, his car and the following vehicle were fired at on both sides of the canal.

It was no surprise, therefore, when, in the course of the meeting convened at their temporary Locon headquarters during the night of May, Ryder told the company commanders that they must abandon any thought of having a good sleep: instead they must prepare for action. It would have been a difficult assignment for a full-strength well rested battalion, but it was immeasurably harder for an understrength unit whose men were suffering from varying degrees of sleep deprivation.

At this point, the battalion consisted of just officers and other ranks. However, while moving in the dark, without lights, signposts or large-scale maps, Hastings, who had been given the task of selecting the site for the new HQ, lost his way, and ended up with the headquarters personnel near Le Cornet Malo.

It was only during the next night, May, that the fateful decision was made to move the headquarters again to Le Paradis. Little did the officers who made the decision realize that life there was going to be anything but paradise. That was thought to be the case notwithstanding the fact that during the previous night two of the front-line companies, which had also got lost in the dark, ended up mistakenly digging in alongside a tributary of the canal rather than on the canal line itself.

All that remained, he said, were the few men standing about outside, and some others who were wounded, that he had got inside a building on the…corner of the cross roads. I went…and looked at the wounded. His Company too was much reduced in numbers…He had only 19 men. He had a position along the line of a hedge or yards in front of the cross roads.

There were no tanks about at the moment, but he thought there were Germans in a village just beyond his position. Because so few men from the front-line companies survived, it has been impossible to describe all the nail-biting incidents that doubtless took place as these men stood their ground against the much stronger enemy troops and armour.

However, the account written by Captain Hallett, whom Hastings had left in charge of the men he had been directing, at least gives some idea of what they must all have to endure. Unlike Hastings, Hallett appears to have been relatively fresh, which enabled him to take a much more proactive approach to his command.

Shortly after Hastings had departed during the morning of May, Hallett led a patrol forward to the southern side of Le Cornet Malo and fired at Germans he saw approaching from the direction of the canal.

As his account records, when he ordered his men to advance again, they did so without opposition, and captured a wounded German soldier, who was in a ditch, plus some others who also surrendered without a fight. This prompted Hallett to take the initiative once again, and after sending out a small patrol, whose report enabled him to work out exactly where the Germans were digging, he gave orders for the mortars that had become available to be fired at them.

I phoned Battalion HQ…. Then they cut the line. This was the last message I go to the Battalion. The forward section came in, leaving their guns, and worse, their AT [anti-tank] rifles. And for a bit there was…. It did not do the tanks much harm, but [it] frightened the drivers, and they ditched them. Luckily the German infantry were a long way behind their tanks, so when they came, we were ready for them. And come they did, in masses. The Brens fired till they were red-hot, and also the riflemen.

But we [also] suffered heavily, and in the end, I was left in a big farm with an attic, with an AT Rifle, and a rifle for myself, and one rifleman to help. A similar pattern of signals emanated from each company.

First, messages came through to say they were holding. Then a more desperate voice, which could barely be heard above the firing in the background, informed the commanding officer that they were involved in hand-to-hand fighting. Sometimes the signalman at the other end of the wire had a personal chat with his mate in the battalion signal office. He must have been killed shortly afterwards, among the many who did not survive long enough to surrender. After overrunning the front-line companies, the German troops were free to concentrate on Battalion Headquarters, which they did with a vengeance approaching Duriez Farm from the north, the east and the west in spite of the fire put down by the men in the courtyard.

We had one moment of exultation. We felt the counter-attack had been successful somewhere, and the German line was falling back. But our exultation in one moment turned to consternation. A sudden flurry of noise and rattle of shots was heard in front of the Battalion HQ [i. A section of German motorcyclists had rushed up the road to Bn HQ. They were dealt with effectively, and fell back on the RAP [Regimental Aid Post] buildings [a short distance to the east, across the road from the farmhouse], leaving 2 dead in the road.

From the RAP they filled the air with shots, and it seemed impossible to get at them…. He seized a Bren, and rushed forward into the open. Taking up a position, he opened fire with a gun. Thanks to Cockaday, who was backed up by Ryder and Long, the Germans were eventually driven away from the south side of the farm, and an escape route, in theory at least, was kept open. Long attempted to secure it by ordering some of the men to hold a couple of neighbouring houses as outposts.

However, the difficulties Long experienced in going to and from these houses must have convinced him that salvation might well be impossible. This was the only time I felt frightened. However we got there, and lost no men. It was a frightening moment. After holding off the enemy so courageously, it seemed as if they were about to be annihilated by British guns.

No sooner had the guns been silenced then another problem emerged. Long was then free to return to the farm. Another moment I am firing a rifle. Now I am firing a Bren gun which stops…A party of Germans try to get past at short range. Everyone that can get a rifle gets some shooting. Richardson has a German Tommy gun taken from the dead motorcyclist in the road…Now the outlook is good.

Now again it is fac simile fattura regime forfettario 2018 agente di commercio I am putting the Battalion papers and war diary in a sack and weighting it with stones, and tying it up ready to sink it in the farm pond. Now I am looking down from an upper window on the dead German motorcyclist who still lies in the road with his arm outstretched. A stream of blood has run from his head to the gutter. He slips back as quickly and quietly as he slipped out….

Charles Long is a great success with the men. He is telling awful lies, but he talks as if he himself believes what he says…. The men love him…He set a fine example by his disregard of personal danger, and certainly did more than any other officer to keep morale at a high level.

He has a breezy manner, was always cheerful, and full of unbounded optimism…All this he managed to convey to the troops…. Something that looks like a tank approaches. Where is the anti-tank rifle? It is lying out in the road. I go to get it. A private soldier comes after me. It has a hole in the side of the barrel, but it can still be fired. The tank stops behind a hillock. Its top can just be seen…. The CO is ringing up Brigade. We are doing very well.

I think he [Ryder] is about to crack. He is unable to go on. I wonder why he does not abandon our position. I think we could still get some men away safely. We both know now there is no hope of holding on much longer. However, he says [that] others are depending on us. I think he knows more than I do. I glance at the Battalion papers in the sack. He nods his head, and I pitch the sack into the farm pond.

I throw a bicycle on top of it. Now it sinks. Now I am going round counting up rounds of ammunition. I see Richardson. He is quiet and very grim. I am getting ammunition collected from the rifles and pouches of the wounded.

Programme regime dukan express curitiba

Bren gun magazines must be broken up and the rounds distributed. We are very short of ammunition, but everyone has a few rounds. It attacked across the canal in a northerly direction with Bailleul as its objective. In the area immediately north of the canal they were held by the Norfolk Battalion in much depleted strength because of the previous fighting and the physical exhaustion of the men.

The Battalion Headquarters was in Le Paradis. They met heavy British resistance and advanced very slowly and at high cost. They eventually occupied Riez du Vinage and spent the night in the Bois de Paqueaut. The British troops defended very stubbornly. According to a German account four officers and one hundred and fifty men were killed and eighteen officers and four hundred and eighty men wounded of this and another action.

Fritz Knoechlein's company suffered the greatest casualties. The British Battalion's last contact with Brigade took place at They were then told that they were isolated and must fend for themselves.

They had fallen back upon the Battalion Headquarters situated in a farm on the Rue du Paradis. This road formed the boundary between the Norfolks and the Royal Scots who had been fighting on the right of the Norfolks. The location of the Battalion Headquarters on the the boundary between these two forces, accounts for the curious events that followed the surrender, for although the Norfolks were attacked by one SS Battalion, most of their survivors were captured by the SS Company which up to that moment had been fighting the Royal Scots.

Long, MC, who was the Battalion Adjutant. The treatment they received was good, and gave little cause for complaint. Had all the Battalion fallen into their hands the events of the Le Paradis massacre would not have happened.

When the Battalion surrendered about one hundred men were collected and paraded on a minor road off the Rue du Paradis. There they were given many evidences of the mounting temper of German troops. Their equipment was taken and they were marched into a paddock of a farm and shot. The German Battalion Commander had gone forward after the surrender, which took place in the early hours of the afternoon.

While the men were waiting on the road two machine-guns of No. Fritz Knoechlein was No. He was directly responsible for the crime and it was on his orders to fire that the killing of the prisoners occurred. After the shooting of the British soldiers Knoechlein had gone around the locality looking for British prisoners or wounded.

He found some French civilians and threatened them. These civilians saw a wounded soldier shot with a rifle after the mass shooting. Totenkopf Deathshead Regiment. They were disarmed, marched into a field, mowed down by machine-guns, finished off by revolver shots and bayonet thrusts and left for dead. By a miracle two of them escaped death, and were hidden and succoured for a short time by the people of Le Paradis. Later they became prisoners of war, and ultimately returned home to set in motion the wheels of justice which, on January 28thbrought to the gallows the German officer who gave the command for this massacre.

A day or two after the atrocity the local people, under orders from the Germans, buried the dead where they lay. Inhowever, the bodies were exhumed and moved into the part of Le Paradis churchyard which is now the war cemetery. Other casualties were brought from scattered graves in the area.

The Mayor of Bethune reported details of the Le Paradis massacre to the allied authorities, in October In the report he states that 97 soldiers - temporarily buried at the massacre site until when they were re-interred at Le Paradis war cemetery.

He gives a list of 45 identified bodies - 4 named but uncertain as to veracity and 48 unidentified bodies. All information is provided in good faith but, on occasions errors may occur. Should this be the case, if new information can be verified please supply it to the author and corrections will then be made. This memorial has been compiled with additional information by kind permission of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, and from Ancestry.

Stoker 1st Class PensionerH. Fisgard, Royal Nay died of disease 13th June aged Son of George Thomas el regimen subsidiado Agnes. Armstrong, of 42, Dartmouth Park Road, London. Corporal King's Shropshire Light Infantry. Lived with his parents in at 9 St James Street, Monmouth and was employed as a tin plate worker.

Safe rides uiuc boundaries 52469

I have bee unable to find any official record of his death although he is mentioned on two family trees as dying in service. His father lived in St James Street". No date or place of death was given. Surname registered at his birth in was Ayers. I have been directed by a distant member of the Ayers family to a link on Find a Grave where there is a photograph of an Ayers family headstone in Monmouth Cemetery. He is clearly dedicated and it stated Sidney Truman Ayers, K.

Sapper5th Siege Coy. Royal Monmouth Royal Engineers died 20th June aged Native of Cheltenham, Gloucestershire.

At rest in Ligny-St. Sapper, Royal Monmouth Royal Engineers. Barrett listed with the Commonwealth War Graves Commission for the regiment stated. Memorial has Royal Monmouth died 22nd June aged Bastock, of Shrubbery Cottage, Monmouth.

At rest in Bordighera British Cemetery, Italy. At rest in Monmouth Cemetery, Monmouthshire. Aged 14 he was working as a grocers errand boy. In he was living with his widowed stepmother, Sarah and his sister, Lois at 27 Monnow Street, Monmouth, his shop and residence. He joined the army aged 28 on the 9th December and was by trade a harness maker. On the 16th April as Corporal he was transferred to the 9th Cheshire Regiment as On the 5th May he was promoted to Lance Sergeant.

He served in France from the 25th March to the 11th October and then to Rolleston, Wiltshire from the 11th October to the 15th November On the 21st February while on extended leave from the 9th Cheshire Regiment attached to 13 Corps School awaiting demobilisation he died at his home, 11 Brook Estate of pneumonia.

He left a widow, Emily Ann nee Charles who he married in and a daughter, Gwendoline born at Monmouth on the 10th April Lance Corporal1st Royal Fusiliers died 13th August aged Bennett, of 30 St. Mary's Street, Monmouth. Private10th South Wales Borderers killed in action 6th June Born in Monmouth to Harriet and enlisted at Abertillery, Wales. Private1st Shropshire Light Infantry, formerly6th Dragoon Guards killed in action on the 10th July Died 20th October aged Son of John and Sarah Elizabeth.

BYE, David. Corporal2nd Royal Welsh Fusiliers killed in action 23rd April His brother Frank, Acting Sergeant also fought in the war. Programme nutrition musculation prise de poids he was a boarder at 16, Mill Road, Abersychan, South Monmouthshire and, in aged 26 he was serving in the army and was stationed in India.

Sergeant2nd Monmouthshire Regiment died 25th December aged Private5th South Wales Borderers killed in action 10th April aged Trooper2nd Life Guards died 13th May aged Private8th Welsh Regiment died at Mesopotamia on the 24th June At rest in Amara War Cemetery, Iraq. Private2nd South Wales Borderers killed in action 23rd April aged Born at Kilgerran, Pembrokeshire and lived in Monmouth.

Born in Manchester, Lancashire and lived at Myddle, Shrewsbury. Private6th King's Shropshire Light Infantry. Killed in action on the 28th March aged Commemorated on the Pozieres Memorial, Somme, France.

Son of the Rev. Francis and Alice Dudley, of "St. David's," Ailsa Rd. Margarets-on-Thames, Twickenham. This person joined the army on the 7th Februaryposted to the army reserved to await mobilisation, aged 19 and 1 month, lived with parents at 86 Ethel Street, Canton, Cardiff.

He was by occupation a cowman. He was later to be discharged from the army, "Surplus to Military requirement on the 14th December Not is his army record.

He was the son of William and Florence Louisa nee Condict who in was living with his parents at 86 Ethel Street, Canton, Cardiff and he was employed aged 14 as an errand boy for a photograph shop. He was born 8th January and died May aged Sapper, Royal Engineers.

However it may be this person. Died of wounds on the 1st March aged He joined on the 12th March aged 14 years and 10 months into the Royal Engineers as Private He was living with his parents at 29, Pearl Street, Roath. It may well be the following soldier. Bombardier, Royal Field Artillery. Not listed with the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. GAGG, L. Sapper, Royal Monmouth, Royal Engineers. The CWGC have the following. Son of Joseph and step mother Agnes Source, search.

Sergeant1st South Wales Borderers died 25th July Native of Usk, Monmouthshire. Son of Edwin. Commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial, Somme, France. Born at Osbaston, Monmouth. At rest at Alderley Edge Cemetery, Cheshire. GUY, Alfred Thomas. Private1st Welsh Guards killed in action 10th September Born in Monmouth to Alfred. Private11th South Wales Borderers, killed in action on the 31st July Lance CorporalRoyal Engineers. Died on the 4th April aged Son of James and Mary Ann of Monmouth.

Some notes from what remains of his army record. He joined up in the 9th September aged 23 years and 3 months, living in the parish of St Mary, Monmouth Town, occupation a coal miner. On the 18th January he was stationed at the Curragh, Ireland, with the South Lancashire Regiment, 19th February posted to the 3rd Battalion, 6th August posted to the 2nd Battalion and on the 10th July was promoted to Lance Corporal and serving with the 2nd Battalion.

On the 3th September he received gunshot wound to his left leg at Thiepval and was treated at No 3, Casualty Clearing Station where he died of his wounds on the 9th September In France from the 13th August to his death. Private1st Royal Welsh Fusiliers died on the 28th October aged Husband of Eleanor of 15, Granville Street, Monmouth.

Native of Dixton, lived at Blackwood, enlisted at Newport all in the county of Monmouthshire. Born at Monmouth, lived at Llangattock, Monmouthshire.

Native of Monmouth. Private10th South Wales Borderersdied of wounds on the 13th November aged Private2nd Monmouthshire Regiment died of wounds on the 16th June Born in Monmouth, son of Thomas Hambury and Rachel.

His parents were still residing at 75 Monnow Street in Private, Cheshire Regiment. There are 27 records listed with the Commonwealth War Graves Commission for W Jones and variant christian names, serving with the stated regiment, none with a connection to Monmouth town and local surrounds. Any help in identifying this soldier would be very much appreciated.

Private2nd Monmouthshire Regiment died on the 7th December at Bailleul. Native of Monmouth, enlisted on the 29th May at Monmouth. Prior to enlistment he work as a agricultural worker, son of Herbert. KYTE, Charles. A, Private, South Wales Borders. There are several listed with the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.

The following information is for a soldier who was born in Mon. Monmouth or Monmouthshireit may be him. Born in Monmouth and lived in Cirencester, Gloucestershire.

Husband of Olive. Commemorated on the Helles Memorial, Turkey including Gallipoli. Private2nd Monmouthshire Regiment, formerly,same regiment killed in action 23rd April He enlisted on the 23rd September aged Lcho nijesF,NO. BOX 7Dr.

NIPINksu indo. JG TOM. Yale St. KARYAhjis Bnninc gm S. KARUNvvk slt. S Wdads zip. Patimura No. ESTE stindonia Jl. Lautze No. Yamin no. NO:3 4. NONE www. GR WWW. KR www. NZ www. Com www. En savoir plus à propos de l'abonnement Scribd Bestsellers.

Bien plus que des documents. Commencez l'essai gratuit Annulez à tout moment. Transféré par john. Informations du document cliquez pour développer les informations du document Date du transfert Mar 25, Partager ce document Partager ou intégrer le document Options de partage Partager sur Facebook, ouvre une nouvelle fenêtre Facebook. Avez-vous trouvé ce document utile? Ce contenu est-il inapproprié? Signaler ce document. Signaler comme contenu inapproprié.

Télécharger maintenant. Titres liés. Élément précédent du carrousel Élément suivant du carrousel. Passer à la page. Rechercher à l'intérieur du document. COM www. HK www. CN www. UK www. ES www. NET no www. COM dewikumala. TW www. COM crschina. TW non www. M www. BR www. NET www. ZA www. RO www.